Take Action on Food Waste
Portion right, cook for your health, and love your leftovers.
Buy only what you need
- Prepare and stick to a shopping list. Avoid impulse buys.
- Buy and prepare foods in smaller portions.
- Choose local, farm fresh products that last longer.
- If you don’t want leftovers, pay attention to the quantity of food you’re preparing so you make just enough rather than too much.
- Good food doesn’t have to look good. Remember that a good healthy meal can be a mix of all sorts of leftovers (as long as they were made from healthy ingredients).
Cook with Leftovers
Useful links & tips for using up leftovers and creating zero-waste recipes!
- AllRecipes.com – offers many recipes to use up your leftovers
- BigOven.com – search recipes by leftover ingredients
- Cooking for one or two: creative use of leftovers – a resource from the Dietitians of Canada