Take Action on Food Waste
Plan your meals first.
Start with a simple plan that works for you.
- Set a goal for the number of meals you plan to cook for you and household during the week.
- Make a grocery shopping list.
- Check your fridge, cupboards, pantry and freezer before grocery shopping.
- Include the kids in the planning and cooking process – they’re more likely to eat the meal they’ve helped make.
- When meal planning, try to plan back-to-back meals that incorporate ingredients or leftovers from the previous meal.
Useful Links (Checklists, food planners and other organization tools)
- Follow Canada’s Food Guide.
- Printable meal plan from the York Region Good Food Program
- Meal planning tips from the Dieticians of Canada
- Meal Planning Apps